From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2012 - 17:27:39 CDT

Hi,
  It is certainly possible to implement anaglyph for many other
other color combinations. The only issue is that once you get
away from the classic red/cyan glasses, the number of possible
color combinations gets pretty large. The only other issue is that
VMD currently uses the OpenGL color channel mask feature to implement
the anaglyph color scheme, and to do color combinations that are not
composed of combinations of 0% or 100% contributions from each of
red, green, and blue will require a different rendering approach, which
means that it will incur much more development time than you might expect.

In the end, I think anaglyph is best thought of as the stereo option
of last resort when nothing else is available/feasible. I would rather
invest time improving the non-anaglyph stereo modes in VMD than to put
a bunch of time and energy into improving the lowest quality option.
That said, if enough people tell me they want improved anaglyph stereo,
I would be happy to work on it.