From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 15:25:49 CDT

Dear Steve,
  Is there any particular reason you're building VMD from source?
The regular binary distributions should work fine on any of the
recent IRIX 6.5.x operating system versions. Also, before you attempt
to compile VMD, you'll need to have built the plugins. I've been moving
compilation instructions and these sorts of things onto the web site
since this information changes frequently, and particularly now that plugins
are involved the process is more complex than can be reasonably documented
in the README files:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/doxygen/compiling.html#compiling

With the new versions of VMD you should not need to run 'make depend' at all
during the compilation process.

If you're sure you want to compile from source, then you're going to need
to use GNU make for the plugins, which will probably also cure the
error you're getting from the SGI make utility, even if you do use make depend.

Thanks,