From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2012 - 10:57:05 CST

Hi,
  We have been using the Phantom Omni devices for some time now and
are generally pleased with them. The Phantom Desktop is slightly
higher quality and has a larger workspace, but it also costs quite a
bit more. Given that haptic devices can get sometimes get abused in
a public lab environment, going with a less expensive device may be wise
in such a case. The Novint Falcon is a lower cost option.
As far as I know the Falcon it is currently only 3DOF and not 6DOF input
like the Phantom Omni, but the last time I checked I think the Novint Falcon
was much less expensive. Depending on what you're trying to do, I think
that either the Phantom Omni or the Novint Falcon would be your best choices.