From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2012 - 11:24:19 CST

2012/1/18 <gpat_at_bioacademy.gr>:
> Hi
>
> I was wondering what is the most suitable haptic device to be used
> for IMD with NAMD/VMD?
>
> I heard about the VPRN tracker, the PHANTOM Desktop and the PHANTOM Omni
> devices but I am really unsure about which one to go for.

depends on what you want to use the device (and IMD)
for, how much money you are willing and able to spend
and how much compute power you have at the back end
to have a smooth and direct enough response.

you can also go rather low cost with
a game controller like the novint falcon
(which has a somewhat limited range
but is pretty solidly built).

you don't need more than 3 degrees of freedom
for IMD in VMD, so having additional DoFs in
effector is usually a waste of money, unless you
have other uses for the device.

as i wrote before. what is good ultimately depends
on what you want to use IMD for.

cheers,
      axel.

--