From: Bjoern Olausson (namdlist_at_googlemail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2011 - 10:58:01 CST

On Wednesday 07 December 2011 15:26:42 David Cohen-Tanugi wrote:
> Hi Bjoern,
>
> Thank you for the advice! I look forward to trying it.
>
> One quick question, though: Isn't each POVRay file several MB large? So
> does this require uploading thousands of MB-large files onto the cluster?

Well, why not run the entire VMD process on the cluster?
You could script your way trough.

Prepare a VMD-Visualization-State file on your workstation, save it, copy it
to the cluster, adjust the path in the vmd state file.

Now write a script a little tcl script which you feed into VMD (just append
stuff to the vmd state file) where you iterate over the frames and "render"
each frame to a pov file (don't forget to remove povray from ${PATH} or give a
wrong path or name).

set nf [molinfo top get numframes]
# Mind the line break after -I
for {set i 0} {$i < $nf} {incr i} {
  render POV3 vmdscene${i}.pov "/usr/bin/povray_" +W1280 +H1024 -I \
  vmdscene${i}.pov -O vmdscene${i}.png +D +X +A +FN +UA
}

I think you get the idea from there.

Cheers,
Bjoern