From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 10:04:21 CDT

Hi,
  VMD's Display->Antialiasing checkbox enables or disables OpenGL
multisample antialiasing on-the-fly from within the program, but this
feature depends on the video driver configuration etc. If you have the
NVidia __GL_FSAA_MODE variable set, this overrides VMD's ability to turn
antialiasing on and off. There's no vendor-independent way to specify
what antialiasing mode is used, which is why NVidia chose to do it with
their own set of environment variables. In summary, you need to be
sure that you've setup your OpenGL drivers and any related variables
appropriately since they can have tremendous impact on the performance
and reliability of VMD.

Thanks,