From: Anurag Sethi (anurag.sethi_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 16 2011 - 17:04:29 CDT

Hi,

The problem does not reduce to two dimensions in the absence of gaps.

In structure QR factorization, the dimensions of the matrix are 4 * Naln *
Nstr, where Naln refers to the number of alignment columns (which reduces to
number of residues in the absence of gaps), and Nstr refers to number of
structures. 4 refers to 4 dimensions that are treated orthogonal to one
another - 1 each for x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis of the C-alpha atoms in each
structure, and one additional dimension for gaps.

In the absence of gaps, it reduces to 3*Naln*Nstr which is still a
multidimensional problem but it should still be faster than the original QR
code. The code for sequence QR is written in C++ and is way faster than
Matlab. I wouldn't recommend using Matlab because that is what we used to
do in the early days of QR factorization (until Elijah Roberts coded the
algorithm in C++).

Also, a final point is that using QR factorization, u cannot order more than
Naln structures. That is an algorithmic constraint that I can explain
offline if you want. You can still use it for clustering if I am not wrong
but you might have to write code based on the Q-score of different
structures during the trajectory (you can send me a message offline about
how you should be able to do this if you want).

The person who has used QR factorization for ordering structures in a
trajectory is Rommie Amaro - while she was a post doc with Andy McCammon -
this was used to find the most unique conformations for drug docking in
their study.

Regards,
Anurag