From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2011 - 09:28:45 CDT

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Mark Cunningham <cunningham_at_utpa.edu> wrote:
> Filip:
>

> AND is a logical and does not mean “in addition to.”  WITHIN is another VMD
> keyword.
>
> What you probably meant was
>

> same residue as water within 3 of residue X Y

sorry, but this is the same as "residue X or residue Y"
and thus won't work as expected.

> This will return all (whole) water molecules where any atom in the water is
> within 3 A of

nope, it won't.

to get whole water molecules, you have to use something
like "same fragment as (...)" otherwise it will only get the water
atoms that are within. for well behaved input, where each water
is given a separate residue id, also "same residue as (...)"
should work, too. however, beware of "same resid as (...)"
as that looks at the residue id that is given in the input and
there can be multiple of the same for difference chains..

the selection language in VMD is very powerful but also
fairly simple minded and brutally logical without any traces
of common sense. ;-)

cheers,
     axel.

--