From: Mark Cunningham (cunningham_at_utpa.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2011 - 07:35:23 CDT

Filip:

AND is a logical and does not mean "in addition to." WITHIN is another VMD keyword.
What you probably meant was

same residue as water within 3 of residue X Y

This will return all (whole) water molecules where any atom in the water is within 3 A of
the list of residues that you provided. There are, of course, other ways of defining cavities,
if that is your real goal. Most involve rolling a sphere over the protein surface.

Mark