From: Jérôme Hénin (jhenin_at_ifr88.cnrs-mrs.fr)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2011 - 11:20:41 CDT

Hi Brian,

You can set the colormap to arbitrary RGB values using the Tcl command:
color change rgb <color_number> <R> <G> <B>

The colormap comprises 1024 colors, numbered from 33 to 1056.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node81.html#ug:topic:coloring
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node122.html

Cheers,
Jerome