From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2011 - 10:32:51 CDT

brian,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Brian Puchala <puchala_at_wisc.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently have a script that uploads data for each frame into "User" and
> colors using that.  The data tells which atoms are grouped in a certain way
> which varies from frame to frame.  I would like to give each group a
> distinct color.  When there are more than about three or four different
> groups the color scale does not provide enough contrast between different
> groups, so I would like to be able to specify particular colors.  Is there
> an atom attribute that changes from frame to frame but does not use the
> color scale for coloring? Or a suggested work around?

the in my opinion easiest way to address this is not by using a
color gradient but rather using multiple representations and then
the user field as a selection criterion. you can pick whatever color
(or material or representation style) you want for the individual
group and then use a "user == 1.0" or "user == 2.0" as the selection
string. you need to activate the "update selection every frame" feature
for it to work though.

cheers,
    axel.

--