From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 07 2011 - 12:19:42 CDT

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Angelo Rossi
<angelo.raymond.rossi_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello:

hi angelo,

> I am running a version of Debian Linux:
>
> rossiar_at_siduxbox ~/ $ uname
> -a
> Linux siduxbox 2.6.39-1.slh.3-aptosid-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 6 23:35:27
> UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> which is the result of a recent update to the operating system.
>
> After the update, vmd does not start:
>
> rossiar_at_siduxbox ~/ $ vmd
> rlwrap: No match.
>
> I understand it is somehow related to the rlwrap command, but it has proved
> difficult to track down.

what is the first line of your vmd script?

#!/bin/csh

or

#!/bin/sh

?

> When debug mode is used (VMDRUNDEBUGGER=1) in the vmd script, vmd works
> fine.

because it doesn't use rlwrap in that mode.

> rlwrap is installed:
>
> rossiar_at_siduxbox ~/ $ which
> rlwrap
> /usr/bin/rlwrap
>
> and so is readline and csh.
>
> It's interesting that when something like vmd (I depend on and use it every
> day.) become inaccessible how panic sets in.  Mommy, I want vmd, and I want
> it now.

you can easily disable rlwrap by commenting out the whole block of script code
that sets vmdprefixcmd to something else than "".

> If you can provide guidance on what to change, I would really appreciate
> this.

i'd rather be fixing it properly, but for that i first have to know
which of the two possible shell scripts needs to be fixed.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer