From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 27 2011 - 14:47:03 CDT

Hi,
  The DX files are a visualization file format that can also be used to store
uniform grids of scalar data, which is what the 'volmap' commands do.
If you compute a density map from your structure, you'll get density values
of zero at the points associated with empty space, so that is a very simple
way to determine where you have pockets or cavities of empty space.
You could get a crude estimate of empty volume from this kind of approach,
but I should also point out that with a little google searching, that
I think that there are tools available that are specifically designed to
find cavity volumes. So, before you implement it yourself in a VMD
script, I would suggest googling for 15 or 20 minutes and see if you can
find one of those tools. I seem to remember I've heard of a couple such
programs in the past, but I don't remember them anymore.