From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2011 - 15:52:54 CDT

Donovan,
  The PSF file format is very verbose. Every atom, bond, etc, is explicitly
specified, and there's no provision for replicating identical pieces of
substructure. If you load up a PDB file in VMD and then use the
AutoPSF plugin to generate a PSF file for it, you'll see what a more
complex example looks like. You can read the source code for the
VMD PSF reader/writer plugin here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/doxygen/psfplugin_8c-source.html