From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2011 - 16:04:34 CDT

Jerome,
  I'm back in town now. I'm going to add the details of your problem
to one of the bug reports I'd previously filed in the NVIDIA system since
it appears to be a slightly different manifestation of the same problem
people had previously reported when running both VMD and Google Chrome
on the same GPU, when using GPUs with only 256MB RAM (or less), with
the most recent drivers etc.

Out of curiosity, are you using your own compilation of VMD, or are
you running the binaries that I provide on our web site? It only matters
insofar as I can then tell NVIDIA which CUDA runtime library is being used.