From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 17 2011 - 14:11:30 CDT

Hi,
  I think that if you check the button state of the mouse or
changes to the mouse mode, you may be able to avoid processing
your routine on every rotation, and instead only process when
the user stops rotating (when they release the mouse button).

The mouse position callback variable is:
  vmd_mouse_pos

The list of values set therein is:
  x y buttons

Let us know if you need any help or want a callback that
behaves differently then the existing ones do.