From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2011 - 16:51:49 CST

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Phelan Jr., Frederick R. Dr.
<frederick.phelan_at_nist.gov> wrote:
> I cannot find this information in either the manual or the website, so if
> someone could direct me to the correct location, I would appreciate it.
>

> 1)      What ENV variable needs to be set in VMD.RC to set the path to the
> VideoMach movie software?

none. it looks in a default location and then the regular executable
search path.
it may be most convenient for you to hack the vmdmovie.tcl source to have
your desired path to be the default.

> 2)      Is it possible to set an ENV variable in VMD.RC to a path containing
> user written tcl files, or must they always be loaded by hand?

this is more of a Tcl question than anything else.
a) you can "source" them from your vmdrc file.
b) you can autoload them. for that are two steps required:
you need to have the directory with those scripts in your
auto_path and you have to generate a tclIndex file.

you can look this up in the Tcl documentation or see
a VMD specific description in section 3.3 of this:
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/redirect/cpmd-vmd.pdf

axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer