From: tscheng_at_ic.sunysb.edu
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 07:56:03 CDT

hi,
  thanks for getting back to me. about compiling vmd, there are so many
steps I took that I probabyl don't remember very well. first, i compiled
plugins, it took me some effort, i set the PLUGINDIR env to somewhere to
accomplish it. john reminded me to use gmake, then gmake distrib. after
that, i go into vmd, and figure out configuration options (opengl,
tcl,tk,silent). under src, i modified Makefile first, sicnce include/lib
dir is not right for my system, then i typed gmake. had a problem with
linking library "-ldl", i have no idea what this is, and john suggested me
to remove it, he said it's ok. then vmd was compiled and vmd_FREEBSD was
created, i tried to run it by typing vmd_FREEBSD, it coredumped! john told
me to use gdb to debug, and gdb told me there is something wrong with
libc.so something, that's all. oh, and i was compiling 1.8.1. thanks!

Eureka!

Best regards

Tsu-Fan Cheng
Department of Pathology