From: brad noyes (brad_at_wpi.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 16:43:10 CDT

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 15:23, Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:
> hi, vmd group, I just join this mailing list, I am trying to compile VMD on
> freebsd 4.8, I can compile it, but it core dumped when I run it, has
> anybody made it yet?

Hi,
i think i have found the problem for the crashes on freebsd. At least this fix
seems to work for my desktop. Apparently there is a problem with libpthread
on freebsd, and therefor it has been deprecated. Instead VMD should link to
libpth. So in the src/ directory you can edit the Makefile and change all
occurrences of "-lpthread" to "-lpth", then run make.

Sorry this took me 2 months to figure out, but i was stumped until i read
about libpthread on an unrelated list.

John, Could you make the necessary change in the configure script?

--brad