From: Alex Liu (liu.alex77_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2010 - 08:49:55 CST

Hi everyone,

I am trying to understand the atomselection in vmd. I want to select thymine
residues 5 and 7 and 10 without considering backbones. I am not sure which one
of these is true?

(nucleic) and (resname THY) and (resid 5 7 10) and (not backbone)
(nucleic) and (resname THY) and (resid 5) or (resid 7) or (resid 10) and (not
backbone)

In fact, I am confused with the meaning of :"and" and "or". I
would appreciate if any one could tell me what these two do especially the
second one.
Finally, if any one could tell me how to get more information about the atom
selection using :"and" and "or" it would be great because in the manual I did
not find much.

Thanks for your idea.
Alex