From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2010 - 14:30:28 CDT

all,

some additional info.

i have since received one report that there _can_ be a communication
problem between the precompiled VMD versions and a newer vrpn_server
that was cured by compiling VMD from source. from the details i was given
it would be very platform specific, and likely a 64 bit issue.
i suppose some people get lucky, some don't.

i've decided to make an effort to make things easier for people
that struggle with compilation of libnifalcon and the falcon enabled
vrpn_server. i've installed static library packages on my build machines,
adjusted configurations and produced a set of packages with vrpn
binaries that have only minimal dependencies on external libraries.
i have a 32bit machine running fedora 10 and a 64bit machine running
fedora 12 that i am testing on. you can find those pacakges here:

http://klein-group.icms.temple.edu/akohlmey/vrpn-icms/

there are two variants of the vrpn packages. one that is build
off my local svn that was based on the latest release version
of VRPN (7.26.0) and another build that is compiled from the
latest vrpn public git repository plus my modifications (7.26.2).
in the future i will stay in sync with that repository as close as
possible and russ will hopefully at some point merge in my
changes into his tree, so that the code will be more widely
accessible. for more details have a look at the page where
i collect all info and examples on my branch of the code.

http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/software/vrpn-icms

john, what do you propose would be the best way to get
some proper VMD builds with a recent VRPN client included?
i can created distributions from what i am using, but there
are lots of customizations in my tree and the binaries use
system libraries for tcl/tk/fltk/python and more, so they are
likely not portable beyond a replica of my installation.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/