From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2010 - 12:55:06 CDT

Shawn,
  If you're using the most recent version of VRPN, then you'll likely
have to compile your own VMD from source code, as we use a slightly older
VRPN library in our VMD builds, to go along with drivers for the
Sensable Phantom devices. None of the error messages you were getting
looked like they were caused by VRPN version mismatches, so this may not
even be the current source of your problems. My guess, from all of those
connection failure messages is that your firewall was, or is, interfering
with the socket connections between VMD and the VRPN server. To check
whether or not the VRPN server is configured correctly, I would recommend
that you try and run the VRPN "printvals" program and verify that you're
able to get it to connect to the VRPN server, independent of VMD.
If the printvals program doesn't work, then you must still have some
configuration problem or some kind of network problem or firewall issue.
If on the other hand, the printvals program works fine, then probably you
are having problems due to a .vmdsensors config issue, or the VRPN
versions being mismatched, etc. Try the VRPN printvals tests and let
me know what happens.