From: Jennifer Williams (Jennifer.Williams_at_ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2010 - 10:13:04 CDT

Thanks for the help.

I've found a simple solution -probably should have tried it earlier...

It turns out I can just load and alter the initial .pdb file (I rename
SI as Z using find and replace) and colour the atoms by name. Once the
structure is looking as I'd like it to I then load the trajectory into
the structure and it doesn't seem to matter that the atoms names don't
match the first structure I loaded (i.e in the rest of teh frames SI
is not renamed to Z) but all frames keep the colouring of the initial
.pdb file I loaded.

Jenny

Quoting Jennifer Williams <Jennifer.Williams_at_ed.ac.uk>:

> Hi,
>
> I have a structure and need to change the colours of certain atoms. In
> my .pdb file I have SI and S. Both are automatically recognized as S in
> VMD and given the same colour. I am unable to change this using the
> colour control in the graphical interface.
>
> I know that I could easily do find and replace in my .pdb file but I
> also have trajectory files which I cannot format.
>
> Is there someone around this -perhaps using some script command. Any
> help greatly appreciated,
>
> Jenny

Dr. Jennifer Williams
Institute for Materials and Processes
School of Engineering
University of Edinburgh
Sanderson Building
The King's Buildings
Mayfield Road
Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, United Kingdom
Phone: ++44 (0)131 650 4 861

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.