From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 20 2009 - 10:40:59 CDT

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 11:09 +0200, Ma.Busch wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new on this list. Perhaps somebody can help me.

hi marlene,

> Warning) Detected X11 'Composite' extension: if incorrect display occurs
> Warning) try disabling this optional X server feature.
> ERROR) A TrueColor visual is required, but not available.
> ERROR) The X server is not capable of displaying double-buffered,
> ERROR) RGB images with a Z buffer. Exiting ...
> Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.8.7 (October 7, 2009)
> Info) Unable to create OpenGL window.
>
> After that I make an own compilation of vmd and I've got the same error.
>
> Can someone help me?

this looks like you have a problem with your x server configuration.
for VMD to work, it needs to be configured to have 16 or 24 bits
color. 8 bit colormapped mode does not work.

what kind of setup do you run? what does xdpyinfo and glxinfo say?

cheers,
   axel.

> Thanks
> Best regards
> Marlene Busch

> Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
> 52425 Juelich
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
> Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
> Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender),
> Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
> Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey_at_gmail.com
College of Science and Technology