From: Thomas C. Bishop (bishop_at_tulane.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 24 2009 - 15:08:07 CDT

I noticed that in VMD 1.8.7 that the VMD console is not a separate window .
Instead the xterm from which I start VMD becomes the new VMD console.
In earlier versions I always got a new VMD console.

It's not a bug just a difference that affects my VMD habbits.

It appears (see following excerpt from /usr/local/bin/vmd) that the spawing of
a new terminal has been commented out.

Is there a reason for me to develop new habbits or can I restore to old
behavior?

THanks
Tom

else
# # if DISPLAY is set, spawn off a terminal, else use current terminal
# if ($?DISPLAY) then
# if ("$VMDWEBHELPER" == "1") then
## exec $VMD_WINTERM -T "vmd console" $VMD_WINGEOM $VMD_WINOPTS \
## "$MASTERVMDDIR/$execname" $*
# exec $VMD_WINTERM -T "vmd console" $VMD_WINGEOM $VMD_WINOPTS \
# "env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH $MASTERVMDDIR/$execname" $*
# else
## exec $VMD_WINTERM -T "vmd console" $VMD_WINGEOM $VMD_WINOPTS \
## "$MASTERVMDDIR/$execname" $* &
# exec $VMD_WINTERM -T "vmd console" $VMD_WINGEOM $VMD_WINOPTS \
# "env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH $MASTERVMDDIR/$execname" $* &
# endif
# else
    $vmdprefixcmd "$MASTERVMDDIR/$execname" $*
# endif
endif