From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 16:19:16 CDT

Hi,
  Everything that one can do in the GUI can also be done by Tcl commands.
You can see the commands that correspond to GUI actions through the use
of the "logfile" command (see VMD User's Guide). Entering "logfile console"
will cause all commands to be printed on the VMD console as you interact
with the program. You can stop this with "logfile off". That's a shortcut
if you don't want to read the User's Guide for the Tcl commands that
correspond to creating graphical representations, etc.