From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2009 - 16:23:19 CST

Nick,
  VMD uses a simple distance-based bond search heuristic which can
make mistakes in some cases. I'd suggest that you try using one of
the new test versions of VMD 1.8.7 (rather than an older version) and
let us know if you still have trouble. If you do, then you might see
if running the autopsf plugin on your structure will assign correct
bonds even when the model is in a single molecule.