From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 13:35:03 CDT

Hi,
  Not all of the VMD code is multithreaded yet, so the CPU utilization
you see will depend greatly on what kind of calculations you're doing.
For things that are heavy in Tcl/Python scripting, you'll only be using
one CPU most of the time except when running VMD commands that are implemented
using multiple processors. Most of the "easy" stuff in VMD is not
multithreaded yet. At present the items that make most use of multiple
processors are things like electrostatic potential calculations,
"within" selections, bond determination, and related computations that
scale in complexity with the size of the structure. We're working on doing
the same for trajectory analysis routines, but much remains to be done yet.
VMD renderings with Tachyon (or TachyonInternal) will use all CPUs.

If you can tell me what your batch scripts are doing, I can comment more
on what CPU utilization you should expect to see.