From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2008 - 15:06:53 CDT

Alejandro,
there are quite a few programs out there that are dedicated text editors
far superior to wordpad/notepad. A couple of examples from the world of
Free software (in no particular order, so as to avoid flamewars):
vim/gvim
emacs
nedit
nano/pico

All of these have a great deal of functionality to make editing text
files easier and more efficient. You should be able to find one or more
of them for whatever platform you use.

Many of the text transformations needed for editing the files associated
with simulation are more efficient to do on the command line using unix
tools such as sed, awk, and grep, or scripting languages such as perl
and python. I highly recommend becoming more familiar with at least some
of these options.
Best,
Peter