From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2008 - 15:59:42 CDT

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Samir Unni wrote:

SU> Hi,
SU>
SU> That worked perfectly! I guess reducing the dimensions of the video really
SU> makes a difference in the rendering time. I don't think I need anything that
SU> isn't exported to an external renderer, though I'll let you know if I do
SU> need that in the future.
SU>
SU> However, there is one other issue related to this. Does VMD require X to be
SU> present on a system for it to compile properly? When I try to manually
SU> compile the VMD plugins (using the tarball from the VMD site) on a system
SU> without X, autoconf won't exit without an error. The machine is running

VMD does _not_ use autoconf. have a look at the configure file.
it is a perl program/script. the whole build procedure is different.

SU> Gentoo Linux, and when I try to compile VMD using Portage (the package
SU> manager), by default, it tries to download X as a dependency. I don't see a
SU> USE flag (used to define compile-time options in Portage) for VMD that would
SU> allow me to disable X support in VMD (though that may be a shortcoming on
SU> the part of the package maintainer's ebuild, and not a deficiency in VMD).
SU> Do you know if there's a way to compile VMD even if X isn't installed on the
SU> system?

if you build VMD without the FLTK, TK, and OPENGL options it
should work fine without X. except in the OpenGL output device
section no X11 headers are included directly.

cheers,
   axel.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/%7Ejohns/>

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/%7Ejohns/>