From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2008 - 16:16:15 CDT

Samir,
  VMD can indeed be compiled without the need for X.
The autoconf stuff you're using is not how we normally build VMD,
that must be something that the Portage package maintainer put
together, so I can't really comment on it except to say that it's
undoubtably only capable of handling a tiny subset of the configuration
variations that are possible with our own build system. If you compile
VMD from source code directly using our config system, you can build
it without X/OpenGL at all, in pure text mode.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/%7Ejohns/>

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/%7Ejohns/>

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/%7Ejohns/><