From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 10:13:30 CST

Dear Nick,
  One way you could accomplish this despite the limited number
of primary colors in VMD is to assign at resid to the "beta" field
in the atoms, and then use the color by "beta" method with one of the
color scales. Here are some of the relevant docs on this:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8/ug/node188.html

Also, see the "betacolor distance" script at the bottom of this page:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8/ug/node180.html

You could just rewrite that script to set the beta field with
the resid, or any other number, instead.

Thanks,