From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 09:42:35 CST

Dear Karsten,
  The fact that you don't get "STEREO" in the list of OpenGL extensions
indicates that your card can't do both stereo and multisample antialiasing
simultaneously. You might see if you can make changes to the NVidia
environment variables to disable antialiasing, that should free up enough
video memory to allow you to use stereo. VMD is a bit trickier than programs
like O, in that it wants a number of OpenGL extensions, some of which are
mutually exclusive. In the case of the NVidia drivers on Linux, it can
end up with antialiasing but not stereo as a result of the way the NVidia
drivers are written presently. If you're unable to force the NVidia
driver to disable antialiasing in favor of stereo, let me know and I can
give you a version that'll give stereo higher priority than antialiasing.

Thanks,