From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 06 2008 - 23:50:58 CDT

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Peter Hains wrote:

peter,

since you are already suffering through some unsual
problems, perhaps you may want to add one more to it. :)

please find attached a non-csh version of the vmd startup
script that i wrote a while ago (i'm not a big fan of csh
scripting as it has some serious shortcomings).

if you gunzip the file and make it executable with
chmod +x and then put it into the same directory as
the vmd script (you may need to adapt the first few lines).
if you then execute vmd.sh it should work just as a
properly working regular vmd script. it was doing well on
redhat/fedora and suse machines that i got to test it on.

PH> Hi again,
PH>
PH> thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate the help and again I know it's art
PH> of a learning curve. I've installed tcsh (ver 6.15.00) as I couldn't install
PH> a version of csh. (I did try by running sudo apt-get install csh, but I was
PH> essentially told the "Package csh has no installation candidate").

on linux machines /bin/csh is usually a symbolic link to /bin/tcsh.

PH> So, I've installed tcsh. Just to be paranoid, I re-installed VMD. I now get

re-installing VMD makes no difference (you are not using windows ;) ).

PH> the following error:
PH>
PH> META_CLASS: Undefined variable
PH>
PH> Some searching suggested it may be the version I had installed (I originally
PH> had 6.14 installed). I've got the same issue with ver 6.15.00. To my
PH> inexperienced eye, this appears to be related to tcsh rather than VMD. So if
PH> this is off topic for the VMD list, could you point me to where I may be
PH> able to find assistance?

i'd try to check out whether there are any updates to your distribution.
this sounds a lot like a typo in one of the /etc/profile.d/ scripts.

cheers,
   axel.