From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 10:29:49 CST

Hi,
  For the precompiled VMD 1.8.6 distribution, please use the Python libraries
we've made available on the web site:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/pythonlib/

The instructions for setting up the environment variables are in
the User's Guide here (see the first section there):
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node145.html