From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2007 - 18:03:05 CST

Hi,
  There are some examples in the VMD User's Guide that show how to
set the color scale to anything you like using the Tcl interface.
I've also attached a simple example script that does one possible
implementation. You can use any equation you want to define your
colors, including a completely manual color mapping if you wanted to.