From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 17:12:51 CDT

Bob,
  I've attached a patch that adds "user2", "user3", and "user4" fields
to the atom selection and graphical user interfaces. Feel free to
duplicate the logic to create as many user-defined fields as you like.
This patch is against the current VMD CVS, so that's probably what
you'll want to build against. If you or others have any trouble
compiling, let me know and I can provide you with a test build that
has these extra fields compiled in already. I've also attached a
toy script to exercise one of the new fields so you can easily
verify it is working for you.