From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 16:25:34 CDT

Bob,
  At present there is only a single per-timestep "user" field, but
it is actually pretty easy to create new user-defined fields. I have
been planning on making it possible to create and define new
per-timestep user-defined fields on-the-fly but haven't gotten around
to doing it yet. Creating and naming new fields is trivial, I just
have to come up with a clean way to add/delete dynamically created field
names into the atom selection language.

If you like, I can tell you how to make a few of small changes to
the VMD source to add as many new per-timestep fields as you want.
You'd have to compile from source, but that's the easiest way to get
it done until I've implemented a more general solution.