From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2007 - 08:46:49 CDT

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, [iso-8859-7] Θωμας [iso-8859-7] Ευαγγελιδης wrote:

thomas,

this does not work with .dcd at all, as john pointed out.
you'd have to write a single frame .dcd _and_ .psf for each
frame, since also VMD cannot handle that situation. see:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/multimolanim/
for a workaround.

the only file format that would handle what you describe
well is the LAMMPS atom style dump format, where each atom
index is archived with the position (which makes it nasty
to read in VMD, and requires the dumping of all atoms to
be compatible with VMD to begin with). if the number of atoms
per frame varies, you will for the time being have to find
a different visualization package and/or help to make VMD
handle this more gracefully (not easy, if you want to preserve
the current efficiency in handling large numbers of atoms).

the best way to reduce the size of a trajectory is to make
this selection rather generous. i'm currently working on some
script/plugin with GUI that will hook into the file loading
process and allow you to read only a selection. however this,
again, has the constraint that the number and index of the
atom does not change and is pretty tricky to begin with
(our group is working on huge coarse grained MD systems, where
it can be difficult to load only a few frames into regular
desktop). at the moment, you can do this pretty straight forward
in batch mode on a file by file basis.

if you want to visualize only the n-closest atoms out of that
reduced selection, see the suggestion in my other mail.

cheers,
   axel.