From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 14:17:12 CDT

Dear Will,
  At the present time, there's not really a good way for VMD
to cache surface data calculated by MSMS. We have been thinking
about the need for this too, but at present the program
infrastructure to do it isn't there yet. If your purpose
is to give a presentation, then the best thing to do would be to
generate an MPEG movie showing what you want to show, so that the
speed issue with calculating surfaces becomes irrelevant. You can
then put the MPEG into your powerpoint presentation and all should
work fine. We often do this locally, even for things that would run
more than adequately well interactively, just to make it easier to
give the presentation. It is a lot easier to focus on what you're
actually saying in your presentation if you don't have to fly around
in 3-D at the same time. :-)
So, for now, my recommendation is to make an MPEG movie.
When we have a better solution for animating molecular surfaces quickly,
we'll definitely make it known on VMD-L, it is something a lot of people
could use just in day to day work. If you need more help with this,
please let us know.

Thanks,