From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2007 - 14:17:13 CDT

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Henry Yuen wrote:

henry,

HY> I'm using VMD version 1.8.3, and I'm trying to spatially separate a block of
HY> molecules from another. I used the selections feature in the
HY> "Representations" box and colored one block of molecules differently (though
HY> they consist of the same atoms: C and H), using ColorID. However, when I
HY> render this scene in Tachyon, the resulting image shows that the two blocks
HY> of molecules are colored according to the default coloring scheme. Any
HY> ideas?

i see two possible reasons:

- there are some atoms that exist in both selections,
  and the 'ordering' of which representation you see
  is different for VMD/OpenGL and tachyon. this applies
  to all non-screenshot renderes and the resolution is
  to make sure the selections are unique.

- you are seeing a bug. the resolution would be to first
  check wether this was fixed in a newer release of VMD.
  version 1.8.3 is 2.5 years old and quite a bit has changed
  since then.

cheers,
  axel.