From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 13:02:32 CDT

Hi,
  As Axel has already pointed out, the current versions of VMD are
multithreaded in a few places, but unless you're performing operations
which benefit substantially from it, you're better off running a
single-threaded job in the case of running on a batch machine like
the IBM. The main cases where you get a speed boost from the multithreading
in the current version is during rendering with Tachyon or TachyonInternal,
when loading/analyzing structures (e.g. mol new, mol reanalyze), and for
calculating electrostatic potentials with the volmap "coulomb" map type.
As VMD's use of multithreading becomes a more pervasive, the number of
cases that benefit will also increase. In order to facilitate this, we'll
be implementing various new "measure" commands that do many of the things
people presently do with single-threaded scripts, but allowing them to be
done on multicore CPUs and to use GPU acceleration e.g. NVIDIA CUDA,
where possible.

  johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu