From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2007 - 15:55:33 CDT

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Arnab Mukherjee wrote:

AM> Hi everybody,

salut arnab,

AM> I have seen a similar post but not exactly this one which I am facing.
AM> I have redhat enterprize linux v5. I installed vmd from AMD64 binary. When I
AM> am typing vmd, the whole screen becomes black and then I am logged out.

this looks like a problem with the OpenGL support.

AM> Actually I was fine initially and vmd was working fine. Then I updated many
AM> libraries etc. installed lesstif etc for xmgrace and corresponding libraries
AM> which are required by grace. But after all that now I face the problem with
AM> vmd.

can you run any other OpenGL program, e.g. glxgears?

what X driver are you using?
try using: glxinfo | egrep '(OpenGL|glx)'

if you installed the nvidia drivers manually
and have updated OpenGL related X libraries (Mesa),
you may have to re-install the nvidia drivers.
the same is true in case you updated the kernel.

it may be worth looking for a solution similar to
what rpm.livna.org does for fedora. i'm running an x86_64
system with fedora core 6 with an nvidia card and
kernel and nvidia-driver/module updates worked smoothly
with 'yum update'. for details see:
http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/LivnaSwitcher

hope this helps,
   axel.

p.s.: when replying to a previous post to avoid having to type the
mailing list address, please do not only edit the subject line, but
also remove the not relevant previous post. this will help to avoid
confusion for people searching the mailing list archives. thanks.