From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2007 - 13:40:52 CDT

Hi Francesco,
you can use a script like the following to label all of the atoms with
their serial number:

set sel [atomselect top all]
set graphicsmol [mol new]
foreach xyz [$sel get {x y z}] serial [$sel get serial] {
    graphics $graphicsmol text $xyz $serial
}
display resetview

You can then delete the numbers with
mol delete $graphicsmol

Note that when you are in mouse mode 1 (atom pick), simply clicking on
an atom will print its index, name, and some other information to the
vmd console.

You should be able to modify the atom selection listed above to suit
your purposes.

Best,
Peter