From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2007 - 09:49:47 CDT

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Vijaya Brahma wrote:

vijaya,

please don't cc: me on a mail to a mailing list, i am already
subscribed on (unless you are replying to a mail on the list).
this way your mail arrives in my inbox twice and one of them
cannot be sorted automatically into the proper mail folder
(a necessity given the amount of e-mail i receive daily).
so except for giving me extra effort, that is no gain.

VB> Sir
VB> With due respect i want to state the problem that I am facing while
VB> running VMD 1.8.6 for Linux (32-bit x86) using OpenGL, downloaded via
VB> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
VB> The problem is that I am unable to load a PDB file, as soon I load a PDB
VB> file the VMD crashes. I have tried to debug and run, using following

please check out the linux specific release notes (and next time, please
also provide the specifics of your machine: linux distribution, kernel
version, cpu type, libc version etc.).

it is most likely, that your machine has a buggy (old) kernel.
please install all available patches for your linux distribution
and try again. for details see the linux release notes.

cheers,
   axel.

VB> command
VB> vmd -debug
VB> (gdb) run
VB> as a consequence I am able to load the PDB file but when I try to change
VB> the graphical representation of the molecule, the system hangs:-
VB> these are the steps that occured in the terminal,

[...]