From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Sat May 26 2007 - 15:36:40 CDT

On Sat, 26 May 2007, Francesco Pietra wrote:

FP> It is becoming hot in Pisa, particularly on cloudy
FP> days as today. This may be an excuse for not having
FP> changed directory to src before commanding 'make
FP> install'.
FP>
FP> That said, because now vmd it is installed without
FP> having edited the script, how to set the env variable
FP> (with bash) to launch vmd from my /home/francesco?

on my machine /usr/local/bin is part of the default path,
so there is nothing else to do. if i install a version
of VMD somewhere else (e.g. a test version in my home
directory), i usually do a 'mkdir -p $HOME/bin' and then
'ln -s ~/some-vmd-dir/vmd ~/bin/vmd-test'.

do a 'hash -r' and the shell finds it.

ciao,
  axel.