From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 24 2007 - 16:04:29 CDT

What follows is to inquiry if the computer will be
able to install VMD 1.8.6

I would like to install VMD 1.8.6 on Linux Debian i386
(32bit Athlon) where various OpenGL-graphics programs
(MM packages and interfaces to QM codes) run
perfectly. Though, I do not use GLX acceleration.
Below about the module used:

francesco_at_deb32:~$ awk '/Section
"(Module|Device|ServerFlags|Extensions)"/,/EndSection/'
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Module"
        Load "i2c"
        Load "bitmap"
        Load "ddc"
        Load "dri"
        Load "extmod"
        Load "freetype"
        Load "glx"
        Load "int10"
        Load "vbe"
EndSection
Section "Device"
        Identifier "nVidia Corporation NV11DDR
[GeForce2 MX 100 DDR/200 DDR]"
        Driver "nv"
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
francesco_at_deb32:~$

and the VGA controller:

francesco_at_deb32:~$ lspci |egrep -i
'(video|vga|display)'
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation
NV11DDR [GeForce2 MX 100 DDR/200 DDR] (rev b2)
francesco_at_deb32:~$

while I did not install nvidia packages:

francesco_at_deb32:~$ dpkg -l '*nvidia*' | awk
'/^ii/{print $2}'
No packages found matching *nvidia*.
francesco_at_deb32:~$

francesco_at_deb32:~$ apt-cache policy
nvidia-{kernel-{source,common},glx}
nvidia-kernel-source:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.0.8776-4
  Version table:
     1.0.8776-4 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org etch/non-free
Packages
nvidia-kernel-common:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 20051028+1
  Version table:
     20051028+1 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org etch/contrib
Packages
nvidia-glx:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.0.8776-4
  Version table:
     1.0.8776-4 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org etch/non-free
Packages
francesco_at_deb32:~$

Will that support be enough for VMD? If to try, it is
not clear to me which binary version of VMD 1.8.6 will
be most appropriate. I am not allowed to install any
graphics on the amd64 parallel opteron machine, where
QM codes run (and NAMD should be installed): there is
just no X system.

Thanks

francesco pietra

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/