From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2007 - 14:47:44 CDT

Vlad,
  If I understand your goal correctly, it seems that rather than
a traditional "plot", you're really just displaying a matrix, since
the keys you're using for the abscissa and ordinate are strings rather
than numeric values. Given that, you might want to have a look at
some of the VMD plugins that draw similar matrices with colored
squares, and adapt some of the code for your purposes.
Maybe you can take a look at the code in the "contact map" plugin
and use that, as it's doing something along the lines of what you
describe.