From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 11:03:17 CDT

Hi,
  Are the CP2K DCDs being corrupted only under certain conditions
(e.g. if the program terminates abnormally) or is this a consistent
problem? You could write a Tcl script in VMD to reconstruct the
damaged DCD header if you knew what attributes it had before it
got corrupted, e.g. the atom count, whether there were fixed atoms,
which DCD format variant it was, file endianism, etc.

Most likely the time-economical solution would be to work with the CP2K
authors and figure out why the header is getting corrupted, and help them
get their DCD writing code fixed. The CP2K authors might want to look
at NAMD to see how it writes its DCD files. NAMD tries very hard to
deal with supercomputers that have flaky I/O subsystems, and recover
gracefully from various error situations as best it can.