From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2007 - 14:01:05 CDT

Fred,
  We've slowly been evolving VMD to separate out atom coloring by
their atomic elements from coloring based on their string names, since
there are many cases like the one you've described where one wants to
color them based on their string name, since there are many naming
conventions out there and no single rule set can deal with them all.

The first part of the transition was to add a new "element" coloring mode
which is already in the new versions of VMD, but the second step is to
make the "name" and "type" coloring modes use the actual string name rather
than guessing the atomic element based on the string name, which was what
they do presently, which is what is causing your difficulty.

In the short term, one way to deal with this is to create separate
representations and selections for CL1, CL2, CL3, and H, and color them
using the ColorID coloring method. Alternatively, you could use atom
selections and rename either their "name" or "type" so they get assigned
to different color table entries which you can then control as you wish.

If you're not using the "type" field with data from PSF files or other such
information, I would suggest setting the "type" field and using that, e.g.:
  set sel [atomselect top "name CL1"]
  $sel set type "A"
  set sel [atomselect top "name CL2"]
  $sel set type "B"
  set sel [atomselect top "name CL3"]
  $sel set type "C"
  set sel [atomselect top "name H"]
  $sel set type "D"

You can then color by "type", and assign any colors you like.
This same technique can be used on any of the per-atom data fields,
whether string based or numeric, do a varying degree.